A Blindfolded Pour Project

*This page may have affiliate links, which means we may receive commissions if you choose to purchase through links provided (at no extra cost to you). Thank you for supporting our site!

In my last post I mentioned the concept of doing a blind folded pour—so that’s exactly what I did. Not all the way of course, think of the mess that would make! I started by putting all of my viable paints into a bag, gave it a good shake and pulled out the five colors I was going to be pouring with. I was so eager for the big reveal, let me tell you. 

Supplies I Used:

This was not a series I would ever consider combining with my eyes wide open, but still I was determined to move forward. I was happy to have some of my more vibrant colors in with the dark, dark violet and black. Since this is a pretty dicey experiment I decided to pour on the back of an old canvas, a tactic I like to implement so I don’t waste valuable white space when I start to go off the creative rails.

 

I also wanted to do the actual pour and prep blindfolded, within reason. I decided to go with a flip cup because that seemed to be the easiest to manage without creating a mess disguised as a pour. I usually like to use either white or black for my base color in a flip cup when I can, so I started by pouring about half of my black into the flip cup and then putting my blindfold back on. Very carefully, I started to establish my colors in the cup. I had no idea what I was doing, and only had a guess at how much I was adding. When I took off my blind fold for the next step, (actually setting up the flip) I was floored by my little bull’s eye. 

I’d managed to get just about everything dead center, so there is something to be said for slow and steady! As I looked into the cup I realized, because of the weight of some paints, I still had no idea how much of what I had loaded into this little cup. I saw a little green here and there but mostly red and purple, I was truly in for a surprise and I was more than a little nervous that I was only going to have mud. I loaded up my cup onto the canvas, flipped, let it rest while I cleaned up some of my station and lifted it with very careful/nervous/anticipatory hands. 

 

All of my fears were whisked away with the appearance of this little blob! My vibrant colors were not swallowed up by the black, I had some unexpected cells, beautiful swirls of color— but then I realized I had to get to tilting to get the full effect. This was where the mud could definitely run to the surface, I had no idea how close together my red and green were, how dominate the black was going to be. But the tilting only made matters more beautiful.

I am so happy that this experiment was a success! It also opened my eyes to an all new collection of colors that I will definitely be keeping in my back pocket from now on. 

 

Comments

  1. I think it is absolutely gorgeous! I just became aware of this process and have been gathering supplies and knowledge as I go along. I have not performed a
    pour yet and I was wondering if you used your paints right out of their containers
    or you prepared them with pouring medium or floetrol. Thank you for any information.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *